LatAm alarm over US-Colombia plan
South American leaders at a regional summit have expressed fresh concerns over Colombian plans to grant American troops access to its military bases.--BBC News
Encuentra aquí lo último en Semana
Atención: Gobierno Petro derogó decreto que prohibía poseer, tener, entregar, distribuir y comercializar drogas o sustancias prohibidas. Fuerza Pública quedó desarmada
Atentos: ¿en cuánto subirá el salario mínimo para el 2024? Esto es lo que usted debe saber
Papá de niña desmembrada en Cali alcanzó a preguntarle al presunto feminicida por su hija: “Tenía los labios mordidos, tenía arañones”
Impresionante: aquí están las últimas imágenes de las cámaras de seguridad de Michel con vida. La adolescente fue hallada desmembrada en la basura
But at the gathering in Ecuador, they rejected a proposal to formally condemn the proposals, which would allow US access up to seven Colombian bases.
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez warned that "the winds of war were beginning to blow" across the region.
Colombia says it needs US support to tackle drug lords and left-wing rebels.
The US wants to relocate its base for anti-drug operations in Latin America to Colombia, after Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa refused to extend an agreement allowing US access to a military base in Ecuador.
The Brazilian president, Luis Inacio Lula da Silva - whose government had previously described the plans as a matter for Colombia - called for a meeting between US President Barack Obama and the region's leaders to discuss their concerns directly.
"As president of Brazil, this climate of unease disturbs me," said Mr Silva, reports AP news agency. "I think we should directly discuss our discontent with the American government."
But during Monday's Union of South American Nations (Unasur) summit in the Ecuadorean capital, Quito, Mr Chavez led criticism of the Colombia-US accord
The Venezuelan leader warned that the July agreement between Bogota and Washington "could generate a war in South America".
BBC South America correspondent Candace Piette says that in a news conference at the end of their meeting, held in an ancient church in Quito, the 12 presidents looked uncomfortable.
Although a number of countries in the region had previously expressed alarm over the plan, the summit failed to back Venezuelan and Bolivian calls for a joint statement condemning the move.
Instead, Unasur members agreed to hold talks - in Argentina later this month - to discuss the controversial Colombian-US proposal.
Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, a staunch American ally, toured the region last week in an effort to persuade leaders that an expanded US presence would not threaten any other nation in South America.
But correspondents say South American leaders would like firm assurances from Washington that the US forces would not operate outside Colombian territory.
Read more here.
Semana International delivers news about Colombia in English. Find more in our home.